2005 Oct 07 14:05

Re: [vox-tech] Wireless-to-ethernet bridges

Re: [vox-tech] Wireless-to-ethernet bridges

I finally have no choice but to get a wireless interface for my home
workstation. Given the difficulty with changing chipsets and poor driver
support, I am thinking of a ethernet-to-wireless bridge, which is alleged to
bridge a one-device ethernet network to an existing wireless network with an
existing access point, all without any drivers on the PC. Here are two
products, both by Linksys, that claim to do just that:

http://www.buy.com/prod/Wireless_G_Game_Adapter/q/loc/15625/10351886.html

http://www.buy.com/prod/Wireless_G_Ethernet_Bridge/q/loc/15625/10346525.html

The second is about twice the price of the first.

My questions are:

- Am I on the right track going with an ethernet bridge?

- What reasons are there to prefer the more-expensive device? I loathe
  wireless networking and so would prefer to spend as little as possible. I
  am not really interested in special features.
Well, here's what I can tell you from my personal experience. I paid someone to get aPCI wireless card working on my Linux boox at home, and it cost me about as much as a bridge. Then when I wiped the drive, well, square 1.

I have both the Linksys Linksys WGA11B and the Linksys WGA54G game adapters. Amazon has them tax free though :). The wireless B adapter currently runs $44 on amazon (versus $90 on amazon for the G).

They work fine, I have no problems getting connected, and they will likely save you lots of headaches.

There is one word of caution I'd offer though. If you use MAC address filtering (like I do) you might spend forever trying to figure out why the connection is there, but doesn't work. SOLUTION: Make sure both the 10/100 bT NIC *and* the Wireless MAC addresses are on the access list. Once I did that, everything was peachy.

Good luck! If I can offer any more help, feel free to contact me directly at lorca@u.c.d.a.v.i.s.e.d.u without all the periods :).

-dan