2005 Oct 07 12:57

Re: [vox-tech] Wireless-to-ethernet bridges

Re: [vox-tech] Wireless-to-ethernet bridges

You are on the right track, and here are a few other suggestions:

http://www.wlanparts.com/product/NL3054CB3PLUS ( same money but 200mw )

I have a 802.11b buffalo client bridge that I can sell to you for $20. Looks like:

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=116&categoryid=7

but is 802.11b

If you don't need the 802.11g speed, then you can find really cheap 802.11b client bridges much like the dlink 900AP+ (make sure that its the (AP+) model ) -- something like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/D-LINK-AirPlus-DWL-900AP-WIRELESS-ACCESS-POINT_W0QQitemZ5816022794QQcategoryZ51164QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

-Mark

Henry House wrote:

I finally have no choice but to get a wireless interface for my home
workstation. Given the difficulty with changing chipsets and poor driver
support, I am thinking of a ethernet-to-wireless bridge, which is alleged to
bridge a one-device ethernet network to an existing wireless network with an
existing access point, all without any drivers on the PC. Here are two
products, both by Linksys, that claim to do just that:

http://www.buy.com/prod/Wireless_G_Game_Adapter/q/loc/15625/10351886.html

http://www.buy.com/prod/Wireless_G_Ethernet_Bridge/q/loc/15625/10346525.html

The second is about twice the price of the first.

My questions are:

- Am I on the right track going with an ethernet bridge?

- What reasons are there to prefer the more-expensive device? I loathe
wireless networking and so would prefer to spend as little as possible. I
am not really interested in special features.