2005 Sep 30 12:29

[vox-tech] X pointer magic

Hi guys, I would like to know if something is possible. Unfortunately, I
don't know where to start looking for the answer. I was hoping you guys
might have clues. :)

I have a Logitech mouse with 6 buttons (MouseMan Dual Optical). Like most
modern mice, it only has two finger-sized buttons on the top, with a
depressable scroll wheel. I hate trying to use that as a middle 'button',
so I'd like to use the thumb-button for pasting.

The catch is I still want the middle button (button 2) to paste, since my
Thinkpad has a lovely middle button built in. Since my current .xmodmaprc
has the line "pointer = 1 2 3 6 4 5", my first thought was to change that
to "pointer = 1 2 3 2 4 5", but that gives errors:

    $ xmodmap -e 'pointer = 1 2 3 2 4 5'
    X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of
    range for operation)
      Major opcode of failed request:  116 (X_SetPointerMapping)
      Value in failed request:  0x2
      Serial number of failed request:  9

I think the ideal solution would be to tell X to map the paste function to
button 6. That way I wouldn't need to re-modify the mapping when I wanted
to make use of the sixth button in Quake. ;) Any idea how to do that?

-Bryan

--
Bryan Richter
System Administrator