2005 Sep 27 11:04

Re: [vox-tech] mgetty+sendfax/vgetty modem

Re: [vox-tech] mgetty+sendfax/vgetty modem

I've used the 33.6k version of this modem (US Robotics Sportster Voice)
with a success:

  http://tinyurl.com/bydtx

That's a used 56K version of the modem on EBay.  It's not exactly what I
have, but I'm guessing it's the same thing except in 56K.  You'll need a
serial port on your computer the or a USB-to-serial converter (usually
$20.)  Looks like the one they're selling on EBay doesn't come with a
serial (a.k.a RS232) cable so you'll need one of those (~$10).

As for voice capability it worked perfectly for me (except for a little
bug in a wav converter utility in vgetty which should now be fixed), but I
know it's not the top-of-the-line and you can get a better one.  For me,
though, the Sportster worked fine for a whole year for our apartment for
me and my roommates and suited our needs excellently.  If you're
considering it for a business, you probably should look for another one,
but for just a light non-critical voice capability handling it should be
fine.

Fax and data works like any other fine modem, of course.

-Mark

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Hans W. Uhlig wrote:

> I am looking for a modem for use with mgetty+sendfax
> and vgetty. So far I have yet to find one for purchase
> that is both voice and fax class 2 capable. Anyone
> have one spare or know where one can be aquired. I am
> trying to set my office up with voice email and fax
> email from the server. If anyone has additional and
> moderatly inexpensive solutions let me know.
>
> Hans W. Uhlig
> Mobile Field Technician
> Staples Inc.

Mark K. Kim