2005 Sep 26 00:04

[vox-tech] Mouse trouble

So I just bought an el-cheapo "GE" brand optical PS/2 wheely-mouse to
replace the non-optical PS/2 wheely-mouse that came with my Fry's/Linspire
computer.

To my surprise, it doesn't work.  I figured "PS/2... it'll just plug in and
work.  I might need to change X's config from ImPS/2 to PS/2 or something."

Nope...  this thing's red light turns off the minute anyone (X, gpm, or
my manually via cat or xxd) talks to the /dev/input/mouse or /dev/psaux
devices. >:^(

Before I try to return it (stupid thing came in one of those plastic cases
that you need to take scissors and a flame-thrower to to open it), I thought
I'd see if anyone out here knew of any tricks to get it to work.

(Googling, I found someone mention they had to tweak something in their bios
to get a PS/2 mouse working right.  I see nothing mouse-related in my bios,
so I'm outta luck there.)

Thx!

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/