2005 Sep 20 14:55

Re: [vox-tech] Fwd: Re: Debian Sid amd64 on a Compaq v2310us (statusreport)

I actaully just did an Ubuntu install on a Dell 1100 with a PCMIA Belkin Wifi G card(Broadcom chip). Now I haven't gotten it working yet(I'll post on my problem later) but I found drivers for linux that are said to work
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Rt2500WirelessCardsHowTo

and drivers are available at
http://ralink.rapla.net/
and
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/rt2400/

Alex

Bill Kendrick wrote:
It appears Lennart is not subscribe to vox-tech, or posted from an alternate
address.  I'm taking the liberty of posting this for them...

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:43:30 -0400
From: lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen)
Subject: Re: Debian Sid amd64 on a Compaq v2310us (status report)
To: Ken Bloom <kbloom@gmail.com>
Cc: debian-amd64@lists.debian.org, vox-tech@lists.lugod.org

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 08:50:07PM -0500, Ken Bloom wrote:

Display:    14.0" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen (1280 x
768) display

Hmm, interesting.  That is 15:9 ratio.  Most I have seen were the 15.4"
WXGA which are 1280x800 (16:10 ratio).

Wireless connectivity:    54g Integrated 802.11b/g wireless LAN with
25HSM/SpeedBooster support (based on a Broadcom chipset)

Yeah broadcom needs ndiswrapper.

Digital media:    6-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure
Digital cards, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro,
SmartMedia or xD-Picture Cards (Texas Instruments)

Most I have seen are a TI pci device, and have no support in linux (and
probably never will).  They also work very badly in windows (the one my
wife has can't work with cards over 512M in size making it completely
useless.)

External ports:    3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0, 1 notebook
expansion port, 1 IEEE 1394 (FireWire)

At least those ports are standard and should just work.

Communications:    Integrated 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45
connector), high speed 56K modem (RJ-11 connector)

Ethernet should usually work fine, modem is probably going to be a pain
if possible at all.

Dimensions:    13.15" (L) x 9.1" (W) x 1.29" (H) (min) or 1.53" (H) (max)
Weight:    5.38 lb.
Sound:    Altec Lansing

*** Debian Install ***
I installed Debian Sarge, using a netinstall CD over wired ethernet. The
install used Kernel 2.6.8 as the install kernel. As DMA for the ATI
chipset is not supported until kernel 2.6.11, I had another working
computer download kernel 2.6.12 from Debian sid amd64, so that I could
scp it over and install it as soon as possible after the initial install
is done.

ATI support is rather flacky in linux still, although by 2.6.12 at least
some stuff is starting to work.

After installing the 2.6.12 kernel, I upgraded to Debian Sid, and
installed my favorite packages.

*** Video ***
You can use the ATI driver, or the non-free fglrx driver.

The ATI driver is unaccelerated, but supports suspend/resume.

The fglrx driver is accelerated, but does not support suspend/resume.

I chose the former. To specify that you want unaccelerated video, you
must use the option
       Option          "noaccel"
in Section "Device".
Becuase my cursor looked ugly after that, I also used
       Option          "swcursor"
You may be able to get away without swcursor. Try it. The worst that can
happen is aesthetic problems.

My xorg.conf is attached.

For some reason, I can't use the scroll stuff, and can't get the
typing-disables-trackpad behavior. I could probably reconfigure that,
but I would have to use
	Option "shmconfig" "on"
in the Section "InputDevice" corresponding to the synaptics touchpad.
When I turned that on, things started to crash, so I turned it off. I
might have even had that working on Debian and lost it in a
dist-upgrade. I'm not sure.

If you have a solution, let me know.

Typing disabling the touchpad would be a nice feature.  The one I have
set up does however have an on/off switch above the touchpad so it's not
a big deal.

Len Sorensen

----- End forwarded message -----