2005 Sep 15 19:24

[vox-tech] Best Linux Audio Cards (PCIe? USB?)

[vox-tech] Best Linux Audio Cards (PCIe? USB?)

Hello LUGOD Members,

An associate of mine has purchased a system with 2 PCI slots (now occupied
with cards) 1 PCIe x1, 1 PCIe x4 and 1 PCIe x8 slots (which are unused.)
The machine has no audio on-board or as a card.

(I realized the primary targets for PCIe have been throughput-intensive
hardware such as Video Cards, FireWire, and Gig/10Gig Ethernet.)

For conveinience, it would be nice to have a sound card be internal.

I do not see any PCIe Sound cards on the market. Do any of you know of
any? (If they exist, they must work with Linux.)

Assuming no PCIe audio cards are on the market, there is the option of
USB. Anyone have favorable experience with USB sound "cards" and Linux?
Best devices would not require 3rd-party drivers, but would be able to use
existing stock kernel drivers/modules.

The USB Audigy2 (Creative) has received praise from some users on /.
Looking through the 2.6.13 kernel config, I see support through ALSA for
"Tascam US-122, US-224 and US-428 USB drivers" but these appear to require
firmware updates with usx2yloader.

Going with OSS vs. ALSA does not matter as much as "working with Linux."
Best:     No 3rd party drivers or firmware. Works with Stock Kernel.
2nd Best: 3rd party drivers and/or firmware updates
Worst:    Nothing. No sound.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
-ME