2005 Sep 08 16:54

Re: [vox-tech] Dual-Boot

sprice@internet49.com wrote:
Jonathan,
Answering your questions, we did have a dual-boot on RHEL and windows at
the install fest.  I did try to upgrade to fedora with the fedora disks,
and it hasn't worked since.
My specific question was whether, during the Fedora upgrade, everything seemed to go OK, that there were no error messages during the upgrade process.

To start windows, I have the bios boot from hdd0.  Booting from hdd1 gets
me a grub window.  Hdd2 is a disk boot failure, and SCSI gives me windows.

I think you are going about things incorrectly. You shouldn't need to go into BIOS to do anything!

The windows does not give me a boot menu, though I tried to set one up at
every chance I had.

There are a lot of partitions, one reason being I wish to save the
existing home file, on the hdc hard-drive.

I am considering swapping the master/slave hard drives, leave the slave
off, and set up linux on the new master.  (There is nothing to save
there).

Again, I think this is the cause of your trouble. You shouldn't be swapping hard drives around. The first partition on the master drive should be windows. Linux can be anywhere else. The Linux install should have replaced the boot loader on the master boot record (MBR) of the master drive. From what you are saying, it seems that this is the missing piece. Grub can be re-installed on the MBR if you are careful and know what you are doing. Otherwise you can reinstall Fedora and it should take care of it for you (choose to install Grub on the MBR, not somewhere else!)

Feel free to call, I can call back to save the toll charges, as my e-mail
is at the library.
I am very busy, but I may try to call tonight. Unfortunately, your problems are probably not easily solved over the phone.

Jonathan