2005 Sep 04 09:18

[vox-tech] (Redhat) Grub initrd Use?

This is a redhat related problem. Redhat installed
and works fine. The install process set up grub.
Now I have built a new kernel from the tar ball and
need to boot it. I put a new stanza in /boot/grub/menu.lst
with the new kernel name and a new name for the stanza.
The redhat installed line has
kernel vmlinuz-2.4.20-6 ro root=LABEL=/1
so I used
kernel vmlinuz-2.4.20-rtl3.2-pre2 ro root=LABEL=/1

the boot fails unable to open root
I've tried using root=(hd1,0) which is my understanding
of device numbering for grub but it still fails. Same error.

I can't find any explanation of "LABEL" in menu.lst
or for the /1 notation.
Note I did make an initrd iamge with the command
mkinitrd initrd-2.4.20.rtl3.2-pre2.img 2.4.20-rtl3.2-pre2

2.4.20-rtl3.2-pre2 is the version as it appears in /lib/modules
and the size of the image file is close to that of the oringinal
redhat initrd image.

Can anybody clue me as to what I need in grub/menu.lst??