2005 Sep 02 14:38

Re: [vox-tech] Apt Question

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:11:59 -0700
> From: "Robert G. Scofield" <scofield@omsoft.com>
> Subject: [vox-tech] Apt Question
> To: LUGOD Tech <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
>
> When I do "apt-upgrade" now there is a message that alsa-base and
> alsa-utils
> have been kept back.  Why have they been kept back?
>
> Is it because alsa needs an upgrade of a dependency so that if the
> packages
> alsa is dependent upon are upgraded in the future, then alsa will be
> upgraded
> later?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bob
When I had this it was because the testing versions of alsa-base and
alsa-utils required a later version of udev than 0.60 , which is only
available in unstable. So I already had the unstable source also in my
sources.list, but as lower priority, so I was able to override priority
and install the unstable version of udev which does not conflict with
the testing version of alsa. Read the apt man page for information on
how to do this. Also, it is my understanding that when the testing
version of alsa becomes greater than my current version, my current
version that came from unstable will be replaced by the testing version
because testing is my default release. Besides the man page, this
document http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ is also useful.
Nick

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - I mean, what is it about a decent email service?