2005 Aug 30 13:54

Re: [vox-tech] postfix and apache

Quoting Cylar Z (cylarz@yahoo.com):

> Someone mentioned (I think named Jill) that Postfix
> can be configured to work with a third-party client
> like Outlook. Does anyone know how?

Here's a page that might help:
http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/smtpauth/smtp_auth_mailclients.html

Notice:

1.  that the problem's not really one of configuring Postfix, but rather
of configuring Outlook, and

2.  that the page assumes you have an IMAP daemon running for Outlook's
inbound mail access, in addition to Postfix (which does SMTP).

> I understand this means setting up Postfix to operate as an SMTP/POP3
> server, but what's the method?

Please note that Postfix doesn't do POP3, any more than it does IMAP.
You probably want something like Dovecot for the latter.

IMAP and POP3 are examples of Mail Delivery Agent (MDA) protocols,
as opposed to Postfix, which examplifies the Mail Transfer Agent
category.  Menageries of both:

"MDAs" and "MTAs" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Mail/

> I'm also trying to figure out why the program insists
> on CC:ing every outgoing message back to the
> originating account. Any clue?

Nope.  Maybe someone else will be able to help, though.

> I also have a quick question about Apache. The httpd
> daemon is operating on my system and delivers virtual
> domain pages properly. However, it won't recognize
> www.mydomain.com/~user URL's. Any idea why not? Again,
> I couldn't find any help on this.

Here's an /etc/apache/httpd.conf snippet that suffices for Apache httpd
1.3.x:

<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
    UserDir public_html
</IfModule>

If you run 2.x, your syntax may differ.  Here's 2.x documentation:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/public_html.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_userdir.html#userdir