2005 Aug 30 00:25

Re: [vox-tech] postfix and apache

Matt,

Cylar Z wrote:
Hey all,

I downloaded, compiled, and installed PostFix
sucessfully. It seems to be able to send and receive
mail via the "mail" command at the prompt.
I'm no expert on mailservers, but I have to wonder - doesn't your distro have a postfix package? Why not use rpm or apt-get?

Someone mentioned (I think named Jill) that Postfix
can be configured to work with a third-party client
like Outlook. Does anyone know how? Jill mentioned
that it was working fine that way on her system - is
her admin reachable? I searched through my
installation guide, the included documentation, and
the postfix.org website, but I didn't see anything
about this. I understand this means setting up Postfix
to operate as an SMTP/POP3 server, but what's the
method?
Postfix is a smtp server - used for sending mail. You'll need to install a pop or imap server if you want to check mail using Outlook.

btw If you need to use a email program on windows, check out Mozilla Thunderbird. It is free/open source. :)

I'm also trying to figure out why the program insists
on CC:ing every outgoing message back to the
originating account. Any clue? I looked through the
main.cf file and couldn't find a way to disable this.
Again, this happens when I send mail from the command
prompt, so I'm wondering if it would do the same thing
I can't help with this.

I also have a quick question about Apache. The httpd
daemon is operating on my system and delivers virtual
domain pages properly. However, it won't recognize
www.mydomain.com/~user URL's. Any idea why not? Again,
I couldn't find any help on this.
Make sure you have a directory called "public_html" in your home with the correct privileges (chmod a+r+x ~/public_html). Make any files in public_html world readable (chmod a+r -R ~/public_html).

Start with that. Let us know if that doesn't help. Apache does have to be configured to allow users to host sites in their home directories, but that is enabled by default most of the time.

Thanks, Matt

Charles