2005 Aug 29 23:15

[vox-tech] dell laptop

Hi, everyone,

I'm the proud new owner of a Dell Latitude D810 laptop. I was wondering if anyone here had had any experience running linux on one of these beasts, or a laptop featuring similar hardware. The main sources of frustration for me so far have been the ipw2200 wireless card, ICH6 SATA i/face and ATI X300 video.
My main unresolved problems are these a) the ipw2200 crashes every now and then and has to be reset by reloading the kernel module, b) the ICH6 needed tweaks to the kernel sources (to enable libata's support for PATA interfaces) before the DVD drive was fully functional, and c) the video card works great (this is with the standard xorg driver) but apparently gets very hot (after 30mins of use I could fry an egg on the laptop's case just where the video chipset is located).

Anyone else here using this sort of hardware / having similar problems?