2005 Aug 23 05:05

Re: [vox-tech] NFS mounting a VFAT filesystem - uid and gid

Re: [vox-tech] NFS mounting a VFAT filesystem - uid and gid

Marc Elliot Hall wrote:
On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 02:41:25PM -0700, Ken Herron wrote:

Marc Elliot Hall wrote:

#make /windows partition owned by user nobody and group webusers
/dev/hda4       /windows        vfat \
    rw,user,auto,gid=82,uid=501,umask=000  0       2

Okay, on "tiny", files on the partition should have UID 501, GID 82,
and
umask 000. Is that what actually happens?

No, it's not. At least, not now.

If tiny isn't assigning the right permissions to the VFAT mount, then what permissions is it assigning? And how exactly is this an NFS problem? If the permissions are incorrect on the original VFAT mount, then it's hardly surprising that another host mounting the partition through NFS would see the incorrect permissions.