2005 Aug 17 18:07

Re: [vox-tech] CPU stepping

Bill Kendrick wrote:
So, last night I went to remind myself how fast Melissa's Thinkpad T20 was,
and when I did "cat /proc/cpuinfo" I saw ~204MHz, which is about 500MHz
slower than I remembered it being. :^)

I also saw "stepping: 3", so I guess the thing had kicked down a few speeds
for power consumption.
I don't think CPU stepping has anything to do with the CPU speed. The stepping indicates which revision of the CPU you have; every time the manufacturers tweak the chips a little, they increment the stepping number.