2005 Aug 17 16:06

Re: [vox-tech] NFS mounting a VFAT filesystem - uid and gid issues?

Marc Elliot Hall wrote:

> #make /windows partition owned by user nobody and group webusers
> /dev/hda4 /windows vfat \
> rw,user,auto,gid=82,uid=501,umask=000 0 2

Okay, on "tiny", files on the partition should have UID 501, GID 82, and umask 000. Is that what actually happens?

However, although the data
appears to be properly available on "oracle" when I execute

$ mount tiny.hallmarc.net:/windows

the ownership of the directories and files remains slightly off (group
should be "webusers" based on *my* understanding of the mount options).

$ ls -la /var/www/

drwxrwx---    3 nobody   users       32768 Aug 16 18:30 tiny/
NFS communicates file ownership using UID and GID numbers, not names. On the host "oracle", what UID is "nobody"? What GID is "users"?

Your "mount" command there looks like it was done as a normal user. If you perform the mount as root, do the perms come out differently? FWIW, for ongoing use you're better off using an automounter such as amd, rather than putting it in fstab.