2005 Aug 18 15:40

[vox-tech] DNS and security

Hey all,

I'm a fairly new Linux admin, running Fedora Core from
Redhat.  Two questions:

1. Outgoing DNS isn't working properly on my server.
The box will respond properly to incoming http
requests (and even allowed me to host 2 virtual
domains, which also respond properly). However, it
does NOT surf the web from the console or ping by
domain name. It WILL ping by IP so I know the issue is
DNS and not my actual connection per se. How do I put
in the DNS info in Fedora Core? I tried logging on as
root, typing "setup" and entering the IP's in the
designated spaces, but no luck. Is there another way?

2. In the interest of system security, I want to run
the absolute minimum number of daemons/services. Which
ones do I really, really need? So far I've established
that I need httpd, sshd, sendmail, xinetd, and
possibly cron. Are there any others that are suggested
that I be running? This server responds to web
requests and lets me SSH in remotely. (I don't use
Telnet.) That's about all it needs to do.

Also, is FTP a security risk, or is it safe to leave
this port open?

Thanks, Matt

"Our nation has defended itself and served the freedom of all mankind. I'm proud to lead such an amazing country and I'm proud to lead it forward."   - President George W Bush, November 3 2004

God give wisdom to our leaders. God bless America.