2005 Aug 16 21:51

[vox-tech] using linux laptop with projector...

[vox-tech] using linux laptop with projector...

Hello There,

I want to use my laptop (RedHat 9) when I make presentations. I used to be able (with old laptop) to change screen resolution from (current 1600x1200) to whatever will the (outside) projector accept (usually 800x600 or so...) It used to work (again on old laptop) with CRTL-ALT + or - and the resolution would change.

When I use CRTL-ALT + or - now, the actual area of screen changes and thus I loose part of screen (it shrinks toward middle part of screen so that for example 800x600 is middle quarter of screen only). The big part of X window is lost (top menu bar...) and so I cannot use it to show PDF presentations, but have to (Yack) reboot to windows and show PDF there (I use LaTeX, and foils, slides or beamer classes to make those PDFs...).

Any suggestion on what to do to get this change in resolution, while maintaining the screen size (and coverage) would be appreciated.

Thanks, Boris