2005 Jul 21 16:00

Re: [vox-tech] WiFi Part II

David Hummel wrote:
On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 09:45:59AM -0700, William Andrew wrote:

So I have tried lots of places and messed with lots of settings to no
avail.  That brings up Jonathan's comment : "you may need to get a
different card."

Now if I were to look for the Ideal WiFi card for a ThinkPad T22
running FedoraCore what would I go looking for? What is the best Linux
interface?

There really isn't a "best".  There are varying degrees of support for
different cards.  Some cards "just work".  I've always prefered Orinoco
(Lucent/Agere) cards, or Prism-based cards.  If you want I have an
Orinoco Silver I'd be willing to part with.

-David
I would definitely make sure you know which type of encryption you will be using. I have a Prism based card (built-in) to my thinkpad and am able to orinoco and wpa_supplicant on it to connect to wep and wpa based networks (respectively).

Aethos based cards use madwifi (I think) for wpa.

Make sure you buy a card who's chip someone has made drivers for

Jay