2005 Jul 21 10:01

Re: [vox-tech] cpan and botched installation of Image::Timeline

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 09:07:51AM -0700, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> Being my first time using CPAN to install a new perl module, I thought
> that it would be a piece of cake...

I would suggest using CPANPLUS instead.

> I attempted to install the module Image::Timeline like this:
>
> $ cpan
>
> cpan> install Image::Timeline
>
> ... it downloaded and installed GD first, and then started compiling
> the Image::Timeline module
> ...however one of the tests failed, and would not install. I forced the
> install to see if it would work anyways, but alas a simple script that
> calls this module always fails.
>
> here is the low down on the module:
> http://search.cpan.org/~kwilliams/Image-Timeline-0.11/Timeline.pm
>
> Right now I am stuck as to what I need to do in order to
> 1. remove this module from my local machine

If the module installed a packlist, it should be somewhere like:

/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.4/auto/Image/Timeline/.packlist

Just rm the files in this list.

CPAN doesn't directly provide an uninstall method (CPANPLUS does).

The ExtUtils::Packlist module contains a command for uninstalling from a
packlist.

> 2. re-install and save the error messages for further help from some
> kind soul

"script" is useful for this.

-David