January 6: Social gathering
2005 Jul 14 12:47

Re: [vox-tech] Disturbing XP Error Message

Re: [vox-tech] Disturbing XP Error Message

That message usually results when someone logs into XP, logs off but leaves their session open, and then someone else logs in. If he is the only one using the computer, that does sound suspicious. Regardless, from the "control panel" -> "users" he can turn off "fast user switching" or whatever it is called (I don't have WinXP in front of me).

HTH,
Jonathan

Robert G. Scofield wrote:
My son runs Windows XP. He is home for the summer. During the school year his laptop has been connected to the U.C. Santa Cruz dorm "Resnet" system. At home his laptop is in his room where he has a wireless connection to the Internet by way of a router.

Recently he has been getting this very disturbing error message when he shuts off his computer:

"Other people are logged on this computer. Shutting down Windows might cause them to lose data. Do you wish to continue?"

He says that he is not connected to any file sharing programs or computers. I've heard that XP itself spies on its users. Does anybody have an idea of what's going on here?

Thank you.

Bob