2005 Jul 13 12:31

Re: [vox-tech] Statistical Software

Norm Matloff wrote:

From: hajhouse@houseag.com (Henry House)
Subject: [vox-tech] Statistical software

A visitor to the demo at the Davis Food Co-op this weekend asked about
software for statistical analysis and mentioned SPSS. Since I do most of my
statistical analysis in Gnumeric and do not use a dedicated analysis
program, I was not able to mention a comparable application for Linux. What
do you use? I later found out about Gnu PSPP, supposed to be a Free clone of
SPSS --- does anyone use this?

In my opinion, as someone with a background in both CS and statistics
(I'm a former statistics professor), R is the best package, either open
source or commercial. (I even consider it a little better than S-Plus, a
commercial product which it is closely related to.) It is statistically
correct (which arguably SPSS is not),
Ni Norm,
Can you speculate on why SPSS is not statistically correct? I have rarely used SPSS (I use SAS), but curiosity just killed the cat :-)

and it is a general programming language,
something people on this list can relate to.
I have a quick mini-tutorial on R at

http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/r.html
Since I myself will be using R heavily during the next couple of weeks,
I probably will be making frequent additions to the tutorial.

Looking forward to the tutorial.

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.