2005 Jul 08 11:51

RE: [vox-tech] Matching Contents of Lists

RE: [vox-tech] Matching Contents of Lists

First I apologize for the lame "reply" format - I am forced to use Microsoft Outlook Web Access (shudder) at work and wouldn't you know - it doesn't offer any options for mail format...?

> Based on your rules above, TALL0047A and TAL0047A do in fact match

No, actually - however many characters are present in each have to match.  If the number of alpha characters in the first set of each field in the two lists differ - no match.

> Are you really saying:

> From both items
> remove trailing alphas

No.  If trailing alphas are present they must also match.

> take the last 4 digits
> remove any leading zeros

Yes.

> Do the strings always start with alphas? Or are there sometimes numerics
> within the first 1-4 characters?

Yes - always start with alphas.

>Is there stuff between the leading and ending portions, such that the
> entries may be more than 10 characters long?

There will never be more than 4 leading alphas, 5 numerics, and 2 trailing alphas.