2005 Jun 29 12:24

Re: [vox-tech] I'm out of space on /

I'd agree with a larger root partition

Jay

Karsten M. Self wrote:
on Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 05:06:20AM -0700, Shwaine (shwaine@shwaine.com) wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Jay Strauss wrote:

hydrogen:/# du -hxs *
2.7M    bin
8.3M    boot
0       cdrom
88K     dev
6.9M    etc
1.0K    initrd
0       initrd.img
79M     lib

This suggests a couple of kernels.  Current (2.6) kernels are running
~40 MiB in modules.  You can spare space by:

  - Deleting unused kernels.

  - Copying older kernel's modules to an alternate location and linking
    them back.  Kernel won't be bootable, but you'll be able to undo the
    damage if necessary.  If you use an initrd to load boot-required
    drivers, this actually *will* work.

  - Compiling your own kernel with only necessary modules.  SCSI, ISDN,
    bluetooth, telephony, atm, and many network drivers can be dropped
    for considerable savings.  Alternatively, you could copy driver
    trees not needed at boot to another partition and symlink them back.
    Post-boot, module loads will work.

Because of kernel bloat, I'm currently recommending a minimum of ~150,
and preferably ~250 MiB+ for root.

<snip>

385M    proc