2005 Jun 29 19:28

Re: [vox-tech] [fwd] backup solutions for 3 people

Re: [vox-tech] [fwd] backup solutions for 3 people

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

Karsten M. Self wrote:
Tape.

I've never really used tape drives, but my one experience was not good. Someone else backed up data to a tape on a mid 90s unix machine, I think. I needed the data about a year ago. We were unable to access the data because we were clueless about how the tape was formatted, what software utility wrote to the tape, etc. The computer that wrote to the tape was long gone.

From this experience, it seemed that there is no standard when it comes to tape formatting, reading, and writing. Has this changed? If not, they don't seem that useful to me.

Jonathan
The place I came to work had a dying $5,000 tape deck that they couldn't afford to repair, and 80 GB tapes that they couldn't afford to replace because they cost about $80 each, and they were dying after a year or two (probably because the deck was bad, but they were replacing these tapes after a year anyway as standard practice). We ended up using spare space on several servers for the backups, which has been much less work and more reliable. My longer-term proposal was to buy a pile of 200 GB hard drives for about $80 each and have backups performed and rotated automatically. As far as reliability, these hard drives could be stored unpowered - or in a massive RAID-5, the functionality would be monitored in real time, and the chance of a double drive failure affecting a periodic backup that happened to be needed seems remote.

Yours,

Chris