2005 Jun 29 19:20

Re: [vox-tech] [fwd] backup solutions for 3 people

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 08:35:21AM -0700, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >
> > Tape.
> >

> I've never really used tape drives, but my one experience was not good.
>   Someone else backed up data to a tape on a mid 90s unix machine, I
> think.  I needed the data about a year ago.  We were unable to access
> the data because we were clueless about how the tape was formatted, what
> software utility wrote to the tape, etc.  The computer that wrote to the
> tape was long gone.
>
>  From this experience, it seemed that there is no standard when it comes
> to tape formatting, reading, and writing.  Has this changed?  If not,
> they don't seem that useful to me.

I have no experience with tape either, but I thought that's what tar &
ar were for? AFAIK, no actual filesystem would be practical, so probably
a tape's content consists of nothing more than a tar file.

Someone who actually knows something can point out any idiocy in what I
just said. :-)

--
Micah J. Cowan
micah@cowan.name