2005 Jun 29 19:13

Re: [vox-tech] [fwd] backup solutions for 3 people

Re: [vox-tech] [fwd] backup solutions for 3 people

Karsten M. Self wrote:
Tape.

I've never really used tape drives, but my one experience was not good. Someone else backed up data to a tape on a mid 90s unix machine, I think. I needed the data about a year ago. We were unable to access the data because we were clueless about how the tape was formatted, what software utility wrote to the tape, etc. The computer that wrote to the tape was long gone.

From this experience, it seemed that there is no standard when it comes to tape formatting, reading, and writing. Has this changed? If not, they don't seem that useful to me.

Jonathan