January 6: Social gathering
2005 Jun 26 21:28

Re: [vox-tech] Where is "less"?

(This got caught in the mailman discards; I guess Troy posted from
a non-subscribed address :^) )

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:11:03 -0700
From: Troy Arnold <troy@zenux.net>
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Where is "less"?
To: lugod's technical discussion forum <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 08:06:55PM -0700, Bob Scofield wrote:
> I've re-installed Debian Testing using the net install.  I've got "cat" and
> "more," but for some reason I don't have "less."  Is there a package I am
> supposed to apt-get?

Short answer:
apt-get install less

Breaking out the fishing tackle:
I find the apt-file utility helpful for this ($ apt-get install apt-file):

$ apt-file search "bin/less"
less: usr/bin/less
less: usr/bin/lessecho
less: usr/bin/lessfile
less: usr/bin/lesskey
less: usr/bin/lesspipe
lessdisks: usr/sbin/lessdisks-aptget
lessdisks: usr/sbin/lessdisks-chroot
lessdisks: usr/sbin/lessdisks-install
lessdisks: usr/sbin/lessdisks-keycopy
lessdisks: usr/sbin/lessdisks-setup
lessdisks-cloner-terminal: sbin/lessdisks-init
lessdisks-cloner-terminal: usr/bin/lessdisks-cloner
lessdisks-cloner-terminal: usr/bin/lessdisks-cloner-create
lessdisks-terminal: usr/sbin/lessdisks-export
lessdisks-terminal: usr/sbin/lessdisks-terminal-setup
lessdisks-xterminal: usr/sbin/lessdisks-xconfigurator
lessdisks-xterminal: usr/sbin/lessdisks-xsession

>From that output you can see that /usr/bin/less is part of the "less"
package.  After installing apt-file (and periodically thereafter) you
need to run the command, 'apt-file update' to refresh the list of files
included with a given package.

-troy (who happens to prefer 'aptitude' as a replacement for  'apt-get')

----- End forwarded message -----

bill@newbreedsoftware.com       Sunnyvale Baylands Park, Sunday, August 14th