2005 Jun 02 21:31

Re: [vox-tech] OT hardware router suggestions

Re: [vox-tech] OT hardware router suggestions

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

I am looking to replace my computer-based router with a smaller and more energy efficient hardware router. In the past I have tried a couple Linksys routers, but they consistently broke ssh connections between home and remote machine (on DSL). Since then, the only way to keep an ssh session for longer than 10 minutes was to use a software router (i.e. an old computer).

Check the time-out configuration on the firewall script. If you have a tendancy to idle while in SSH, the time-out value will kill the connection after you've idled for a while. Used to annoy the heck out of me back when I was working several years ago and the old Cisco kept doing that on my main FTP session every time I had a long-lasting download.

As for brands, I'm quite happy with my Zywall, but it's a fully wired network, not wireless. I believe either NetGear or LinkSys were rebranding Zywalls with a dumbed down firmware several years ago when I purchased the router.