2005 May 28 04:58

Re: [vox-tech] kernel-compilation frustration

Henry House said:
> The last dozen or so times that I have tried to compile a kernel have
> all failed with compiler errors.
[chop]
> Does anyone have any ideas?

Two questions:
When you make, and it fails, and then you
# make clean
and then make
# dep && make bzImage
and it fails, did they fail at the same place with the same error?

If No and the config was not changed, then check for hardware problems,
memory, CPU, etc.

Examine the version of gcc you have installed. If using a RedHat system,
do this:
# which kgcc
If you see a path to kgcc, then modify your kernel Makefile/build to use
kgcc instead of gcc

If another systemw without a "kgcc" then try an older version of the gcc
compiler. (You can install more than one version of gcc.)

Ok. One question and one suggestion.