2005 May 28 15:03

Re: [vox-tech] collaborative writing with latex

På 2005-05-27, skrev Dylan Beaudette:
> Hi everyone,
>
> A colleague and I were recently talking about adopting LATEX as the format for
> dissertations and publications and the like, but always came up against a
> problem: collaborative writting efforts.
>
> While it is ok for me to write all of my stuff in LATEX, sharing an editable,
> electronic version becomes complicated when working with others who have no
> interest in using LATEX as well. This is probably why M$ word is so
> widespread in this dept.
>
> We came up with a couple possible solutions consisting of sending parts to be
> checked in RTF or text format, while keeping the original in LATEX. This of
> course is not always a very feasible option, as collaborators often want to
> see and work with the entire manuscript with figures.
>
> Does anyone know of any existing methods of doing one's writting in LATEX,
> with the option of making it available for edits to others not using LATEX?

Not really. Some people choose XML-based formats for this reason. For
example, DocBook can be typeset using an XML-to-LaTeX toolchain and edited
with some GUI tools. But I am not a fan of XML/SGML so I don't use any of
this stuff. If you are interested in an XML approach I suggest Tbook
(tbookdtd.sourceforge.net) instead of DocBook --- it is easier on the
fingers than DocBook.

In my opinion, a wiki is the best system for collaborative writing ever
developed. Wiki markup might be tool limited for a scientific paper, though.
There are some tools listed on freshmeat that convert wiki markup into
DocBook.

Sorry, I don't have a great answer.

--
Henry House