2005 May 25 16:12

Re: [vox-tech] Is Google wrong about the license on ethereal?

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 05:35:59PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

>    Ethereal
>    License: Freeware
>    According to http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4449.html

This site also lists "Mozilla Thunderbird" (for example) as "Freeware."

This appears to be one of those sites that can only categorize software as:

  * Commercial
  * Shareware
  * Freeware

And that means stuff licensed under the various OSS licenses end up getting
dropped in the "freeware" category, which is the closest thing they have,
even though it's technically inappropriate.

Interestingly, though, their "Submit News" page has a free-form text field
labelled "License":

  http://www.majorgeeks.com/submitdownload.php

*shrug*

Does etheral.com not say?