January 6: Social gathering
2005 May 19 17:08

Re: [vox-tech] printer losing some jobs

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
[snip]
> The problem is with lpr and text files.  For some reason, text files don't
> print.  When I "lpr file.txt", the printer light blinks a bit and then nothing.
> Sometimes, when I type "lpr file.txt" many times in rapid succession, it'll
> print once.
[snip]
> Here's the printcap file:
>
>    lp|printer|Generic dot-matrix printer entry:\
>            :lp=/dev/lp0:\
>            :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>            :if=/var/spool/lpd/myfilter:\
>            :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
>            :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:\
>            :pl#66:\
>            :pw#80:\
>            :pc#150:\
>            :mx#0:\
>            :sf:\
>            :sh:
[snip]

It's apparently not sending FF (0x0C) after sending the text file to the
printer.  Try removing the line with :sf: in it.  :sf:, according to
printcap(5) is:

     sf         bool      false                  suppress form feeds

so I'm guessing removing that line will fix it.  Try it and see?

-Mar

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius