2005 May 20 06:11

Re: [vox-tech] Raid 1 - Fresh Install - Drives seem slow

Re: [vox-tech] Raid 1 - Fresh Install - Drives seem slow

Right, 2.4 vs 2.6 kernels handle I/O differently, I don't consider dd
a very good measurement of performance since read/writes to raw
disk devices (without caches, buffering, ordering, or filesystem) are
pretty rare.
Oh, so it very well may be an apples to oranges comparison?

So Knoppix is configuring something different, I'm searching for the difference

I'd point at both the readahead and the large difference in kernel.
Right now I'm comparing the contents of /proc/ide/hda from both installs to see if something sticks out. I'll take your word on the readahead and kernel version. If I dont find anything in the contents of /proc/ide/hda, I'll drop the issue

Thanks for the help
Jay