2005 May 17 18:49

Re: [vox-tech] Installing Linux from within Linux

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 15:32, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> All you need to do to install Linux is to boot off Linux install medium.
> What OS is on the hard drive is inconsequential.  You don't install Linux
> from "within" Linux; you just boot a Linux install disk/floppy.  That said,
> I'm sure there are fancy-pants way of installing Linux.  But that would be
> needless complicated.

Well, the problem is that there is no way to boot from the install medium.  As
I mentioned, the computer is set to boot from the hard drive, and she can't
get into the BIOS to change that.

> However, if the ultimate goal is to change the boot sequence, installing
> Linux won't help at all.  Linux has nothing to do with setting BIOS config
> options.

That's not the ultimate goal.  As I mentioned, the ultimate goal is to install
Linux.  Unfortunately, since she can't get into the BIOS to change the boot
sequence, she can't boot from the install media.  I know you can't change
that in Linux; I'm pretty sure my original message was clear on that.

> If she really wants to change the boot options, she'll have to get into
> BIOS.

As I mentioned above, she can't.  I don't know why.  Which is why I was
looking for a way to install Linux which didn't involve booting from the
install medium.

> That said, if what happened is that she changed the "factory default"
> settinga and wants to set it back, then she can drain CMOS to reset back to
> the default setting.

I think that the idea of opening up the case and messing with the innards
scares her.  ;-)

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com