2005 May 17 20:55

Re: [vox-tech] Raid 1 - Fresh Install - Drives seem slow

Re: [vox-tech] Raid 1 - Fresh Install - Drives seem slow

> I just installed Sarge on an old PPro 180Mhz, with / on a RAID1 device
> and everything else on RAID1/VG/LVGs (which is very easy using the new
> Debian installer).  I'm building this machine to be an offsite backup
> machine.
>
> It took 10hrs to sync my 100GiB partition, the first time, which seems a
> bit slow.

Linux by default does not saturate the disk during rebuilds so that
users aren't overly impacted.

If you want to speed it up tweak the parameters under /proc/sys/dev/raid.

You should be able to get close to whatever the hardware is capable of,
at the cost of higher loads and more lag.

--
Bill Broadley
Computational Science and Engineering