2005 May 17 18:42

Re: [vox-tech] Installing Linux from within Linux

On Tue 17 May 05,  3:22 PM, Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> said:
> Let's suppose you have a set of Linux CD's (in this case, SuSE Enterprise 9).
> The computer already has SuSE 8.2 installed.  The user cannot get into the
> BIOS to change the boot sequence (I don't know why, and she doesn't know
> enough about the BIOS to tell me).  Is there a way to start a fresh install
> from within Linux?  Seems like it should be possible.

All you need to do to install Linux is to boot off Linux install medium.
What OS is on the hard drive is inconsequential.  You don't install Linux
from "within" Linux; you just boot a Linux install disk/floppy.  That said,
I'm sure there are fancy-pants way of installing Linux.  But that would be
needless complicated.

However, if the ultimate goal is to change the boot sequence, installing
Linux won't help at all.  Linux has nothing to do with setting BIOS config
options.

If she really wants to change the boot options, she'll have to get into
BIOS.

That said, if what happened is that she changed the "factory default"
settinga and wants to set it back, then she can drain CMOS to reset back to
the default setting.

Pete

--
Every theory is killed sooner or later, but if the theory has good in it,
that good is embodied and continued in the next theory. -- Albert Einstein