2005 May 16 10:49

Re: [vox-tech] xmms shoutcast lists

On Sun 15 May 05,  3:08 PM, Bob Scofield <scofield@omsoft.com> said:
> On Friday 13 May 2005 15:17, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >

> > Does xmms have a utility to manage Shoutcast stations?  As it stands, it
> > looks like I need to keep a personal webpage of links.  Instead, I'd like
> > for xmms to remember stations it gets pointed to and let me pick and choose
> > between stations I've already listened to.
> >
> > Can xmms do this?
>
> Here's what I do.
>
> First I create a directory called "Radio."
>
> Then I go to either Shoutcast or a radio station website (like for stations
> KBAQ in Phoenix or KXPR in Sacramento) and save the pls file.  I then rename
> the pls file to something that I can recognize such as:  kbaq.pls, kxpr.pls,
> wnyc.pls, russia.pls.  So I don't deal with the long URL's.
>
> When I want to play I do the following.  I click on the sixth and last button
> on the bottom left hand corner of the XMMS player.  That opens a box that
> lists directories.  I then navigate to Radio and all of my pls files are
> listed.  I then select a file to play that station's music.
>
> But note that I only navigate to Radio once.  That's because the next time I
> click on the sixth button, the box will automatically take me to the Radio
> directory.  So if I don't like what one station is playing I can quickly
> switch to another station.
>
> Bob

Thanks, Bob.  I believe that's about the best I'm going to be able to do.  In
the perfect world, there would be some meta-file data (like "best rock from
the 80's" or "they play NPR every day at 5pm") that I can access.

But as you point out, it's fast and if I can remember what it was about the
station that I liked, convenient.

Thanks!
Pete

--
Every theory is killed sooner or later, but if the theory has good in it,
that good is embodied and continued in the next theory. -- Albert Einstein