2005 May 15 15:37

Re: [vox-tech] xmms shoutcast lists

On Friday 13 May 2005 15:17, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> Does xmms have a utility to manage Shoutcast stations?  As it stands, it
> looks like I need to keep a personal webpage of links.  Instead, I'd like
> for xmms to remember stations it gets pointed to and let me pick and choose
> between stations I've already listened to.
>
> Can xmms do this?

Here's what I do.

First I create a directory called "Radio."

Then I go to either Shoutcast or a radio station website (like for stations
KBAQ in Phoenix or KXPR in Sacramento) and save the pls file.  I then rename
the pls file to something that I can recognize such as:  kbaq.pls, kxpr.pls,
wnyc.pls, russia.pls.  So I don't deal with the long URL's.

When I want to play I do the following.  I click on the sixth and last button
on the bottom left hand corner of the XMMS player.  That opens a box that
lists directories.  I then navigate to Radio and all of my pls files are
listed.  I then select a file to play that station's music.

But note that I only navigate to Radio once.  That's because the next time I
click on the sixth button, the box will automatically take me to the Radio
directory.  So if I don't like what one station is playing I can quickly
switch to another station.

Bob