2005 May 13 21:03

Re: [vox-tech] xmms shoutcast lists

On Fri 13 May 05,  6:32 PM, David Hummel <dhml@comcast.net> said:
> On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 06:17:00PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > Does xmms have a utility to manage Shoutcast stations?  As it stands,
> > it looks like I need to keep a personal webpage of links.  Instead,
> > I'd like for xmms to remember stations it gets pointed to and let me
> > pick and choose between stations I've already listened to.
>
> It actually does remember visited locations.  If you "Open Location"
> (CTRL-L), the visited locations are available in a drop-down menu.  They
> are editable in ~/.xmms/config.  I'm not sure how many locations it will
> remember, or how to control this parameter.
>
> -David

Unfortunately, it doesn't remember what you click, but rather, what you type.
This is unfortunate because sometimes the link isn't obvious.  For example,
on this page:

   http://www.shoutcast.com/directory/index.phtml?sgenre=80s

it's very difficult to get the Shoutcast URLs.  They *really* want you to
click on their "Tune In!" links, which doesn't get picked up by "visited
locations".  Only URLs that actually get typed in seem to go into that list.

It looks like I might be hand editing xmms's config file to insert Shoutcast
stations.  :(

Thanks!
Pete