January 6: Social gathering
2005 May 13 15:31

Re: [vox-tech] xmms shoutcast lists

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 06:17:00PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> I recently discovered Shoutcast Internet radio stations.  Pretty cool.  You
> click on an m3u link, and xmms becomes a radio station.

Radio receiver, you mean? :)

> Does xmms have a utility to manage Shoutcast stations?  As it stands, it
> looks like I need to keep a personal webpage of links.  Instead, I'd like for
> xmms to remember stations it gets pointed to and let me pick and choose
> between stations I've already listened to.

I don't use XMMS much.  On WinXP I use Nullsoft's WinAmp, and it has some
basic bookmarking functionality.  There are a handful of streams I've got
bookmarked in it.

Under Linux I've gotten addicted to KDE's Amarok player, and it happens to
come with a list of about 2 dozen 'cool streams' as an example.  It's a pretty
comprehensive app, with lots of modes, and I should one day figure out what
everything does.  In the meantime, I just click "Play" whenever I want to
fire up the Drum and Bass music in my office, since it remembers the last
song played in the playlist (in this case, a stream, which ends up being
like an infinitely long track.)

:)

But, that doesn't help you with XMMS specifically (unless it has a bookmark
functionality similar to WinAmp, which is pretty much XMMS seems to try to
be like...)

Good lcuk!