2005 May 11 17:57

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 08:51:08AM -0700, Bob Scofield wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 May 2005 22:06, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> >

> >   cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> Sorry.  I guess I'm too tired to even recognize file names.

Well, out of context, simply saying "/foo/bar" to someone who might not be
intimately familiar with the Kernel's new "foo" virtual filesystem, doesn't
really explain to them what it is or does or how to 'use' it.  Could be an
executable script, could be a directory, could be a binary file you need to
run through some magic program/viewer.  In this case, it just happened to
be a text file you run through the not-so-magic "cat" (or "less" or "more",
or you could even "vi" or "kate" it... whatever floats yer boat!)

And, of course, fortunately this file is readable w/o root permissions,
so that similifies things.  But again, who's to know w/o being told, or
knowing in advance.

<snip>
> Here's one final question.  As part of my missionary work I'm taking my SuSE
> CD's.  But it just dawned on me that while I have set up dual boot systems
> several times in the past, it has always been with Windows 98.  Are there any
> special difficulties in setting up a dual boot with XP?

Yes, but I've never done ANY kind of dual boot, so I don't know specifically.
Something to do with MBR (master boot record) or some-such.  I'm sure someone
else has already responded.  ;)  If not, maybe search vox-tech archives
or Google for it.

Good luck!

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com