2005 May 11 08:49

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 09:20:24PM -0700, Bob Scofield wrote:
> On Sunday 08 May 2005 17:47, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >
> > I'd bring along Knoppix and try the following:
>
> Okay, I'm practicing this stuff on my computer so that I'll be able to do it
> on my sister's computer.
> >
> >   - What's the CPU speed?  /proc/cpuinfo.
>
> When I do this with Knoppix I get "permission denied."  If I type "su" and
> hit return I go back to the original prompt, and when I retry /proc/cpuinfo
> I get the same error message.

Oh, /proc/cpuinfo is a file.  In this case, you can examine its contents.
e.g.:

  cat /proc/cpuinfo

> I assume that your "MiB/s" is the same as MB/sec, right?  I'm getting 50.99
> MB/sec on my computer.

Close enough. :^)  Technically a KiB is 1024 bytes, and a MiB is 1024*1024
bytes (or 1,048,576), whereas a KB is only 1000, and a MB is only 1,000,000.

But, historically, people called things that came in 1024's KB, MB, GB, etc.,
and only recently did people start getting anal about it.  (Or, at least, I
only noticed that in the past few years. :^) )

HDD manufacturers get away with selling 100GB drives that are only capable
of holding 100,000,000,000 bytes, since _technically_ that's how many a GB is.
But most of us still look at labels like GB and MB and think in terms of 1024,
and wonder why our HDD has 73,741,824 bytes missing. ;^)

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://newbreedsoftware.com/