January 6: Social gathering
2005 May 09 13:24

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 10:31:34PM -0700, Bob Scofield wrote:
> On Sunday 08 May 2005 20:53, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > It's called CPU throttling.  There are a few different approaches, but many
> > of them work by essentially letting the CPU run at full speed while
> > inserting NOPs to reduce heat generation.   Apparently, NOPs generate less
> > heat.  :)
>
> Pete, what is a NOP?

It's one of the various basic building-block procedures a CPU can do.
(Others include reading a small chunk of memory, adding two values together,
writing the result back to memory, etc.)

A "NOP" is short for "No OPeration", and is pretty much telling the CPU
"do /nothing/ for 1 cycle".

I hope I've got that right. :)

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://newbreedsoftware.com/