2005 May 11 17:54

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 11:28:40AM -0700, Bob Scofield wrote:
> My sister has a relatively new (one year or so) Dell computer running XP.  It
> has always run very slowly.  I've made some suggestions which have not
> worked, such as running Spybot.  I think she's defragged.

I spent hours at work deleting unnecessary files and offloading backup files
to a server, just to hit that magical "15% free space" target to make WinXP's
defrag happy.  I then ran defrag overnight.  I've noticed no speed improvement.
:^P

<snip>
> Does anyone have any other ideas of things I can look into?  Is there any
> reason to think that reformatting and reinstalling would help?  (I'll take my
> SuSE 9.2 CD's up there just in case.)

In terms of possibly switching her to Linux, may I ask what kinds of things
she does or wants to do with her shiny new Dell? :^)