2005 May 08 17:47

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

Here's a few things to check,

You're on the right track with background services
Access them by Start->run->services.msc

,as well as background programs that launch at startup
Start->run->msconfig
and Start->Programs->Startup Folder

http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/SWList.asp
Lists most of the windows programs as seen in the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) so you know whats important, whats not and whats spyware.

How much Ram does she have, a base WinXP with anitvirus running eats at least 150MB all the time, with excessive stuff turned off. I recommend a min of 256mb but realistically nothing less than 512mb.

Also check the she has enough swap space, I usually set it at the same as ram - twice the ram.
My Computer->Advanced->Performance->Advanced->Virtual Memory

I doubt there's anything a computer shop could do other than run a better defrag program and compact the registry.

The other thing to think about although this is nit picky is to look at the case cooling situation. Dell is very bad about this. You can download a free program(for home use) called Everest to check the ram performance and CPU temp.

Last tip, move files out of her profile, especially the desktop to increase the boot up speed.

Hope this helps,
Alex

PS: I've got a great book called Windows XP Hacks(O'reilly) if you want to borrow it. Runs about $15 at Fry's, I got it free on rebate.

Bob Scofield wrote:
Here's a painful question, but I feel justified in asking it for two reasons: (1) it's not for me, but for my sister; and (2) I'm doing some Linux missionary work directed at her.

My sister has a relatively new (one year or so) Dell computer running XP. It has always run very slowly. I've made some suggestions which have not worked, such as running Spybot. I think she's defragged. I think she's cleaned up with Norton Clean Sweep.
I'm going up to her house in Eureka next weekend and she's asked me to try to look into the problem. The only thing I can think of is to see if she's got some memory resident programs that I can close down. Other than that my recommendation is for her to take it into a computer repair shop.

Does anyone have any other ideas of things I can look into? Is there any reason to think that reformatting and reinstalling would help? (I'll take my SuSE 9.2 CD's up there just in case.)

Thank you.

Bob