2005 May 08 07:57

Re: [vox-tech] simple file command question

På torsdag, 05 maj 2005, skrev Peter Jay Salzman:
> On Wed 04 May 05,  1:57 PM, Mike Simons <msimons@simons-clan.com> said:
> > On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 10:45:30AM -0700, Ehrhart, Jay wrote:
> > > how do you use ll or ls to show the year the file was created?
> >
> > ls -l --full-time
>
> The filesystem stores 3 times:
>
>    last accessed
>    last modified
>    inode change time
>
> The creation time will be the inode change time unless you do something to
> change the inode, which includes touch, mv, chattr, chmod, chown, chgrp, touch,
> mv, etc.

Right! This is the view of a filesystem on the concept of creation time.
Human users' view is generally that a the creation time of a file should be
they when they first transferred the ideas found in the file from their
minds into the computer. This is an abstract, semantic view of creation time
that has little relationship to the timestamp that a filesystem uses to keep
track of the pieces of data on disk.

Again, I recommend using something like Subversion or CVS rather than
relying on the filesystem to track the creation time or information if you
want to record it.

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13