2005 Apr 30 01:59

Re: [vox-tech] Rant: LaTeX graphics programs

Re: [vox-tech] Rant: LaTeX graphics programs

On Fri 29 Apr 05,  5:20 PM, Jonathan Stickel:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > Sure thing, but I have to warn you -- these aren't the most complicated
> > diagrams in the world.  That's partially why I got used to writing my own
> > picture environment stuff (and after using it for so long, I've become fast
> > at it.)  It was always faster to DYI than to figure out xfig's atrocious
> > interface.
> >
> > Here's three documents that should show a nice cross section of the type of
> > stuff I'd like to do with graphics programs (all this stuff except for
> > damped.ps were done by hand.  The damped.ps document was done with xfig
> > (Jon and Mark, thank you for converting me.)
> >
> > http://www.dirac.org/damped.ps
> > http://www.dirac.org/eddy.ps
> > http://www.dirac.org/Green-Functions.ps
> >
> > If you have any suggestions, I'd definitely be appreciative.
> >
> > One of my problems with xfig and dia is that I haven't figured out how to
> > put mathematics in my diagrams.  Something like:
> >
> >    \put(50,65){$\vec{F} = \fder{p}{t}$}
> >
> > which would be trivial when drawing my own diagrams.  I suppose I could
> > insert it in the .eepic file that xfig generates, but the whole point is to
> > try to do this in a wysiwyg manner.
> >
> > Even if it means just clicking on the screen to open up a box and type the
> > equation myself (which is what I'd prefer --- I'm light years faster doing
> > typeset math than any human being can be using a lyx/MS Word equation
> > editor.)
>

> I only see a figure in damped.ps (using gv); looks nice.

Thanks!   But I hope you see 2 pictures and 5 pages!  :)

> P.S.  I can send examples offlist if you like (I've never setup a
> website of my own :().

Yes, please!  I always appreciate seeing other peoples' LaTeX files.  I
still reference some circuit macro stuff that Mark Kim sent to me a few
YEARS ago...   :)

Pete

--
Every theory is killed sooner or later, but if the theory has good in it,
that good is embodied and continued in the next theory. -- Albert Einstein