2005 Apr 28 07:51

Re: [vox-tech] Wine on amd64 for 32bit win

Re: [vox-tech] Wine on amd64 for 32bit win

So after browsing some literature I decided I needed to install a chroot(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24575) to run wine inside of, that way I could use i386 packages.

That part went fine. Now I'm trying to configure wine and it's complaining that it can't find my windows partition. Now that makes sense, since I haven't mounted it yet.

So I tried to mount my windows NTFS partition in (etc/fstab):
/dev/sda1 /Windows ntfs umask=0222 0 0

and it works, except I can't open the partition, permission denied.
I've toggled the settings a few times and sudo mount -a after each but always the same result.

Now what?

Thanks,
Alex

Alex Mandel wrote:
I'm seem to be quite good at getting myself in way over my head.

The latest project is to install Wine on a 64bit Ubuntu box(Brand New).
I've been following the instructions on http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

and it didn't seem very difficult.
During the --build part I got an error

"checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

See `config.log' for more details.

make: *** [configure-stamp] Error 77

Build command 'cd wine-0.0.20050310 && dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc' failed.

E: Child process failed"

My guess is that I'm missing some packages for compiling, but I'm not familiar enough with this to know.

However in poking around I got a bit concerned by some sites that made it sound like even if this worked I would end up with a 64bit wine that wouldn't run 32-bit windows software, and that the work around for this is to make a chroot 32bit install to run wine inside of. Anyone know if this is this true, where I should be going next?

Thanks,
Alex