2005 Apr 23 23:25

Re: [vox-tech] Connecting to port 1433 via 22 on an intermediary

on Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 09:28:29AM -0700, Ken Bloom (kabloom@ucdavis.edu) wrote:
> Jay Strauss wrote:
> > Ken Bloom wrote:
> >
> >> $ links localhost:10000
> >> and I reached google in Links.
> >

> > What's "links"?  I can't find a man page on it.
>
> Links is an ncurses based web browser, similar to lynx but different.

Others include lynx (as mentioned), elinks (based on links, including a
graphical text-mode browser, um, don't think too hard about that), and
w3m, my own preferred console browser (which also has a graphics-enabled
variant).

For arbitrary connections to arbitrary ports, netcat ('nc' usually) is
also pretty slick:

    $  echo -e 'GET / HTTP/1.0\n' | netcat localhost 80
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
       <META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="Mozilla/4.05 [en] (X11; I; Linux 2.3.99-pre3 i686) [Netscape]">
       <META NAME="Author" CONTENT="johnie@debian.org (Johnie Ingram)">
       <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="The initial installation of Debian/GNU Apache.">
       <TITLE>Welcome to Your New Home Page!</TITLE>

   <...>

Netcat can also listen to ports.

Peace.

    Unix has decayed / to the point that the domain / names are not in use.
    - Haiku Unix decay.